This position will be responsible for the day to day accounting for a new growing private REIT. Specific responsibilities include the monthly close process, the financial statement consolidation, maintaining internal controls, cash and debt management, preparing financial statements and supporting schedules for internal and external reporting, drafting technical accounting memos and managing the annual audit. The position requires strong communication skills and innovative thinking to communicate with and educate finance and non-finance personnel on financial policies and procedures and reporting requirements.
- Preparation of the monthly and quarterly financial reporting for Senior Management
- Complete the financial statement consolidation process
- Treasury management
- Purchase accounting and onboarding for acquisitions
- Maintain and develop SOX and administrative policies and procedures that streamline the accounting processes
- Assist management to institute best practices for accounting functions
- Assist in the preparation of internal reports for variance analysis budget vs. actuals
- Support SEC filings – offering documents and financial statement
- Coordinate and manage external financial audits
- Support the financing of real estate assets
- Work with a multitude of internal departments – accounting, operations, legal, acquisitions, investor relations, etc.
- Other duties as assigned
Skills and Qualifications:
- CPA or in process of licensure, preferred but not required
- Public Accounting and/or public company experience, preferred but not required
- Real Estate experience, specifically with REITs, preferred but not required
- Strong communication skills
- Project Management skills; must be able to drive a project forward
- Ability to perform technical accounting research
- Bachelor's degree in accounting or finance or comparable work experience
- Experience preparing GAAP financial statements
- Experience with Microsoft Office required
- Microsoft Dynamics experience a plus
- Strong organizational, analytical, and oral and written communication skills
- Be detailed oriented while multi-tasking in a fast-paced company
- Possess creative thinking and the ability to resolve issues
- Must be hands-on and work effectively in a demanding environment
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations will be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of this job.
- Able to sit, stand, walk and use hands and fingers to operate a computer keyboard, mouse, and telephone to talk and hear.
- Frequently sit and reach with hands and arms.
- Occasionally lift and/or move up to 20 pounds
- Competitive Compensation Package| Annual Bonus Potential
- Comprehensive Benefit Package | Medical plan | Dental plan | Vision plan
- Flexible Spending Account
- 401(K) with employer match
- Supplemental life insurance | Short-term disability coverage
SmartStop Self Storage REIT, Inc., a diversified real estate investment company that operates approximately 150 self-storage properties in the United States and Canada through multiple public/private REITs, has an opening for an Assistant Controller. The individual in this position will report to the CFO and will be located at the corporate offices in Ladera Ranch, CA.
SmartStop Storage Advisors LLC, is committed to diversity, equity and inclusion. We will not tolerate discrimination in employment, employment decisions, or in business dealings on the basis of race, color, creed, genetic information, age, sex, sexual orientation, religion, disability, ethnicity, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, veteran status, marital status, pregnancy, political affiliation, status as a parent or any other legally protected status. We believe in fostering an environment of inclusion, and seek contributors from all backgrounds to join our dynamic team.