As Director of Construction and Development we are looking to bring on board a driven individual who thrives in a fast pace and dynamic work environment. Your primary responsibility will be the oversight of all development and re-development projects within the United States. Ensure that coordination and regular communication of overall project occurs between design professionals, construction, real estate, operations and others involved in the planning and construction of company projects. This position will report directly to President and CIO.
- Provide site analysis and recommendations to real estate department and site acquisition team
- Understands how to manage milestones, and bring appropriate resources to challenges impacting the schedule
- Develop schedules and maintain targeted completion dates.
- Communicate project delays or budget challenges and identify alternate actions to maintain schedules and budgets.
- Reviews all renderings and designs and ensure they conform to the company brand standards.
- Interviewing and qualifying approved vendors in all markets
- Verify the accuracy of General Contractor's monthly application for payment and provides approval.
- Ensure compliance of Certificate of Insurance is valid for all contractors and consistent with our operating standards
- Monitor all inspections or corrections required by governing agencies.
- Upon completion of projects, reviews all warranties, O&M manuals, completion of the final punch list required by the contract documents.
- Interfacing with the executive management team and performing other job duties as requested
Skills and Qualifications:
- 5-10 years in multi-unit facilities management
- Travel is required within the US
- Self-storage construction and development experience preferred
- Proven ability to manage and execute capital improvement projects
- Must have demonstrated experience with a full array of heavy construction combined with new and renovation type projects
- Must possess strong project accounting skills, including budget development, ongoing project cost monitoring and large money contract management.
- Experience motivating and coaching a team
- Excellent organizational skills
- An undergraduate degree from an accredited 4-year university
- Excellent negotiation and communication skills
- Strong computer skills (MS Suite office of programs including Word, Excel, Access, Project and Primavera-Expedition)
- Previous experience in a Project Management role
Must be able to move objects, and use abdominal and lower back muscles to provide support over time without fatigue. Constant movement and use of limbs; this position requires good manual dexterity, coordination and stamina.
- Competitive Compensation Package| Annual Bonus Potential
- Comprehensive Benefit Package
- Medical Plan
- Dental plan
- Vision plan
- 401(K) with employer match
- Supplemental life insurance
- Long and short-term disability coverage
- Paid time off for vacation, sick time and personal days
SmartStop is a diversified real estate company focused on self-storage. The company has approximately $1.7 billion of real estate assets under management, including 150 self-storage facilities located throughout the United States and Toronto, Canada, comprised of approximately 100,000 units and 11.3 million rentable square feet.
We value diversity at SmartStop Storage Advisors LLC. We are committed to providing an inclusive work environment in which all individuals are valued and that promotes equal employment opportunities.