Project Manager, Construction
A Project Manager is responsible for the entire successful execution of a project. Their primary responsibilities are to plan, direct, coordinate, and budget activities concerned with the construction and maintenance of structures, facilities, and systems. The Project Manager shall also participate in the conceptual development of a construction project and oversee its organization, estimating scheduling, and implementation. Additionally, the Project Manager will perform the duties as stated in this description and provide assistance as assigned.
During the pre-construction phase, attend all design meetings, continuously evaluate the materials and products being proposed for constructability and feasibility. Oversee the preparation of estimates for the conceptual, schematics, and design development stages. Initiate and coordinate the fill design team efforts in the value engineering processes
- Schedule the project in logical steps and budget time required to meet deadlines.
- Inspect and review the project to monitor compliance with building and safety codes and other regulations
- Prepare contracts and negotiate revisions, changes, and additions to contractual agreements with architects, consultants, clients, suppliers, and subcontractors.
- Obtain all necessary permits and licenses for each project
- Direct and supervise team members in the office and on-site
- Study job specifications to determine appropriate construction means and methods.
- Solicit, negotiate, select, contract, and oversee general contractors who complete specific pieces of the project
- Requisition supplies and materials to complete the construction project
- Prepare and submit budget estimates & progress and cost tracking reports.
- Develop and implement quality control programs
- Take actions to deal with the results of delays, bad weather, or emergencies at construction sites
- Confer with supervisory personnel, owners, contractors, and design professionals to discuss and resolve matters such as work procedure, complaints, and construction problems
- Plan, organize, and direct activities concerned with the construction and maintenance of structures, facilities, and systems
- Investigate damage, accidents, or delays at constructions sites, to ensure that proper procedures are being carried out
- Evaluate construction means and methods to determine the cost-effectiveness of plans
- Ensure the SmartStop Self Storage brand stays within brand guidelines a parameters
SKILLS & ABILITIES:
- Strong written and verbal skills
- Strong problem-solving skills
- Highly organized, attention to detail, strong project planning skills
- Self -motivated, able to take on multiple projects, work independently and with various teams to complete very detailed & time-sensitive tasks and processes
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE:
- Bachelor’s degree in construction management, real estate or business preferred
- Recent experience using excel and project management software
- Construction management experience and/or real estate development experience
- Knowledge of the construction industry, construction practices, and store design in self- storage industry
- Familiarity with planning, zoning, building codes, plan check and permitting processes.
- Travel up to 60% of the time conducting monthly on-site Job site meeting to each project
- Travel internationally to construction meetings and to conduct on-site Job site meeting
- Competitive salary
- Performance-based incentive plan
- Comprehensive medical plan
- Dental plan
- Vision plan
- 401(K) with employer match
- Supplemental life insurance
- Long and short-term disability coverage
- Paid time off for vacation, sick time and personal days
SmartStop is a self-managed REIT with a fully integrated operations team of approximately 350 self-storage professionals focused on growing the SmartStop® Self Storage brand. SmartStop, through a wholly-owned subsidiary, also sponsors other self-storage programs, including Strategic Storage Trust IV, Inc. and other private programs. It is the tenth-largest self storage company in the U.S., with approximately $1.4 billion of real estate assets under management, including 113 properties in 17 states and Toronto, Canada that are directly owned and managed by SmartStop, as well as a growing portfolio of 21 properties in 8 states where SmartStop serves as the property manager for properties owned by its sponsored programs. In total, this portfolio comprises approximately 87,000 units and 10 million rentable square feet. Additional information regarding SmartStop is available at www.smartstopselfstorage.com.