In this role some of the overall responsibilities include: development and implementation of corporate risk management program that is consistent with the strategic goals of the organization. Responsible for establishing, managing and maintaining relationships with all insurance service providers including agents, brokers and consultants, underwriters and carriers, claims service providers, third party auditors, and state regulators. Coordinates with executive management, operations, accounting and legal in the execution of risk management policies and procedures to protect company's assets, minimize liability exposures.
- Support company-wide business units in all aspects of Risk Management / loss control programs and related initiatives.
- Negotiate policy renewals, premiums and coverages on all insurance policies and maintain administration of insurance programs.
- Act as liaison with insurance brokers, insurance carriers and outside business partners, as needed.
- Support legal in the review of Subcontractor and Vendor Agreements, Consultant Agreements, leases, financing agreements, purchase and sale agreements, and other similar agreements for internal business units to ensure minimization of risk and best risk transfer practices.
- Coordinate and track reportable insurance claims with applicable personnel.
- Participate in the refinement of the overall strategy of Risk Management; recommend necessary changes to optimize functionality and results.
- Coordinate delivery of company information, marketing and underwriting information for presentation to underwriters.
- Advocate for the company on complex first and third-party claims affecting the company.
- Monitor and interpret changes in insurance marketplace, coverages, additional insured issues, etc. and ensure that the Company adjusts accordingly.
- Manage relationship with self-storage operations and construction management teams for assistance with Risk Management needs.
- Coordinate with accounting and legal staff on insurance-related matters, including liability and warranty claims and litigation.
- Provide regular reports and presentations to executive level management on all aspects of Risk Management.
- Bachelor’s Degree required
- A minimum of 5 years of progressively responsible Insurance / Risk Management experience in a commercial property / casualty role at either a brokerage or a corporate Risk Management department
- A current CA Property and Casualty license
- Familiarity with complex topics in the field of Risk Management such as insuring a joint venture, contractual risk transfer, indemnification, subrogation and related issues on construction agreements
- Familiarity with companies that are subject to SEC reporting requirements is a plus
- Experience with at least one of the following: Real Estate, Construction, Self-Storage Operations
- Experience with tenant insurance and tenant protection plans is a plus
- Experience with Canadian insurance matters is preferred
- ARM and/or CPCU insurance designations is preferred
- Must have solid understanding of claims language / terms
- Experience negotiating contract & loan insurance provisions with lenders, consultants, attorneys and subcontractors
- Attention to detail and the ability to manage several tasks concurrently
- This is a high visibility position and, as such, requires a motivated individual with excellent oral and written communication skills as well as the ability to think and act toward innovative / progressive solutions
- Strong computer skills (MS Suite office of programs including Word, Excel)
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations will be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of this job.
- Able to sit, stand, walk and use hands and fingers to operate a computer keyboard, mouse, and telephone to talk and hear.
- Frequently sit and reach with hands and arms.
- Occasionally lift and/or move up to 20 pounds
- Competitive Compensation Package| Annual Bonus Potential
- Comprehensive Benefit Package | Medical plan | Dental plan | Vision plan
- 401(K) with employer match
- Supplemental life insurance | long and short-term disability coverage
SmartStop® Self Storage is a diversified real estate company in the self-storage industry. As a self-managed REIT with a fully integrated operations, it has a team of approximately 390 self-storage professionals focused on growing the SmartStop® Self Storage brand. SmartStop is the tenth-largest self-storage company in the U.S., with approximately $1.7 billion of real estate assets under management, including an owned and managed portfolio of 150 properties in 19 states and Toronto, Canada and comprising approximately 101,000 units and 11.5 million rentable square feet. In addition, SmartStop was recently awarded Newsweek’s Best Customer Service 2021 among Storage Center companies.
SmartStop Storage Advisors LLC, is committed to diversity, equity and inclusion. We will not tolerate discrimination in employment, employment decisions, or in business dealings on the basis of race, color, creed, genetic information, age, sex, sexual orientation, religion, disability, ethnicity, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, veteran status, marital status, pregnancy, political affiliation, status as a parent or any other legally protected status. We believe in fostering an environment of inclusion, and seek contributors from all backgrounds to join our dynamic team.